For Hivos Aardoom & de Jong is seeking an experienced Concern Controller who supports the mission and vision of Hivos and is very motivated to contribute to Hivos’ goals. Hivos is an international organisation working to help build open societies and sustainable economies through innovative projects and campaigns in different regions of the world. The Concern Controller is based at the Global Office in The Hague, Netherlands. You act as business partner for the organisation and as advisor to the board and directors of Hivos and to the Supervisory council of Hivos and its Audit Committee. You have extensive experience in finance, budgetting, risk management, and project based funding. Are you the proactive and experienced Concern Controller who is keen to contribute to Hivos’ work and the further professionalisation of its organisational design? Are you motivated to work in an innovative international work environment? We look forward to your application!
As Hivos is an international organisation working across four continents it is essential that you are a skilled communicator who combines experience in programme management and project control with excellent advisory and writing skills. You have a solid background in finance and control in complex organisations. You easily maintain overview and can provide financial advice and support to colleagues and directors at the Global Office as well as at the regional offices. In addition, you have strong skills and knowledge in compliance, risk management, international donor requirements.
As Concern Controller for Hivos you are based at the Global Office in The Hague, Netherlands. You work closely with the Deputy Controller (based in Zimbabwe), Financial Managers (at Global Office and the hubs) and the Financial Officers. You also interact closely with the Manager Financial Support and Control and you are member of the Management Team. The Controller hierarchically falls under the Executive Board and reports to the Director of Operations. You interact regularly with the Supervisory Council and Audit Committee on matters related to control and can in exceptional cases report directly on matters concerning the Executive Board.
The Concern controller’s main responsibilities will be:
• Directs corporate and project decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing financial policies and procedures related to programme and project implementation, grants management and internal Hivos financial processes; limits risks and initiates corrective actions.
• Collects, analyses and consolidates financial data from the Financial Managers and delivers this information to the Board, management and Audit Committee and where relevant to external parties.
• Monitors and confirms financial, operational and programmatic delivery conditions by conducting internal audits on both a corporate and a project level; provides information to and deals with external auditors; prepares special reports by collecting, analysing and summarising information and trends. Finalises corporate annual accounts. Is responsible for coordinating and implementing financial inspections of grantees.
• Anticipates existing and new legislation and requirements; recommends and contributes directly to the further development and improvement of performance systems and tools and enforces adherence by the Hivos organisation.
• Responsible for overall functioning of risk management within Hivos ensuring adequacy of measures implemented to minimise the impact of downside risks. Provides advisory support to the Executive Board on management of risks.
- Extensive work experience as business controller and/or concern controller
- Work experience in complex financial environments
- Working and thinking level required; academic
- Advanced English level
- Experience in project control and project management
- Experience with international donor requirements
- Expertise in risk management and compliance
- Expertise in accounting for not-for profit (RJ650) and the development of control systems
- Excellent writing and analytic skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with a variety of audiences
- Cultural sensitivity, initiative, accuracy
- Support the mission and vision of Hivos
- Willingness to travel internationally
- Currently living in the Netherlands
- Only applicants with valid EU passport or pre-existing work permit will be considered
Hivos partners work in over 35 countries, while Hivos has a presence in 15 countries and an office structure in The Hague (Global Office) and in Zimbabwe, Costa Rica, Kenia and Indonesia (regional hubs). Hivos has grown from a small foundation to a large organisation involved in over 150 projects across four continents. The projects are on the themes sustainable food, renewable energy, transparency & accountability, freedom of expression, sexual rights and diversity, and women’s empowerment.
Core values of Hivos are: human dignity and self-determination; pluralism and democracy; focus on material and non-material aspects; mutual solidarity and responsible citizenship; respect for people’s cultural and social identity; responsible management of nature and natural resources.
Recruitment and Selection Process
3581 HP UTRECHT
8011 LD ZWOLLE